The Therapeutic Goodness of Garlic & Ginger Tea
For many, the thought of garlic and ginger combined to make a soothing hot tea may sound strange or weird. However, keep reading to learn more about the specific benefits of garlic and ginger as well as how to combine this dynamic duo and create this super therapeutic tea.
A DYNAMIC DUO
Garlic and Ginger are healthful natural herbs that have many remedial properties and benefits. They both boast antibacterial properties with the ability to loosen mucus and reduce congestion. Ginger can relieve congestion and soothe sore throat and is considered to be the best cold medicine in Chinese traditional medicine. Garlic is a powerful natural antibiotic that may provide relief from cold and flu symptoms. The massive nutritional value of this duo forms an effective herbal medicine that in addition to respiratory ailments is used to treat several other ailments such as indigestion, nausea, and abdominal cramps to name a few.
Now that we understand the goodness of garlic and ginger, let us take a look at the 9 key benefits of sipping this therapeutic garlic and ginger tea. Then do some good for your body by trying our easy recipe and step-by-step directions below.
BENEFITS OF GARLIC & GINGER TEA
- Supports the immune system in that garlic has antiviral, anti-bacterial and antifungal properties
- Can help to strengthen immunity because of the high level of antioxidants in ginger
- Relieves cold and flu symptoms
- Garlic is full of many important nutrients and vitamins including B2, B6, and C
- Garlic is a natural antibiotic that can help in the prevention of colds
- Ginger helps in the relief of congestion associated with the common cold
- Ginger can help relieve respiratory symptoms associated with environmental allergies
- Lemon and Honey is great for sore throat and therefore effectively compliment this healthy tea.
- Honey also has antibacterial properties and may be helpful in reducing swelling and pain
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT GARLIC & GINGER THERAPEUTIC TEA
- 4-5 cloves of smashed fresh garlic
- 4 tablespoons of shredded fresh ginger (about 3-inch piece of ginger)
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed lemon juice is best)
- 2 tablespoon of organic honey (optional)
- 2 cups water
Preparation / Method:
- Bring the water to boil
- Add prepared garlic and ginger to the boiling water
- Allow to cook for 20 minutes
- Turn off heat and let it sit for 10 minutes
- Use a strainer to separate the liquid tea content and lemon juice
- If desired, add honey as a sweetener to this delicious therapeutic tea
Yields approximately two (2) – 6 oz. cups of tea
Photo credit: Canva